Monday, March 24, 2008

The skinny

Content challenge!

I initially was going to revive this blog by waiting until one year and a day had passed since my last entry, and act all Rip-Van-Winkle about it ("What a nap! Why, look, it's 2007!") but that didn't happen.

I just came back from a week-long informal writing retreat. We did yoga almost every day, which was great for clearing my mind. The piece I was working on had to do with memories of childhood and adolescence, so it made me pull out my boxes of photographs tonight once we got home.

I don't have a lot of photos from when I was a kid (my parents have those); I have a random assortment of photos from junior high, high school, summer stock, my first year or so in New York ...

One thing that struck me: I always hated how I looked in pictures. I never thought I was photogenic at all. Yet, in so many of the pictures I saw tonight, I looked actually cute. And thinner than I thought. (Except for when I gained about 40 lbs stress-eating in graduate school.)

My weight has crept up again over the last couple of years - I think seeing those photographs will be great inspiration to return to my healthier habits. And to remind me not to be my own worst critic, as I always was.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gil said...

Isn't that why people get married, so their own worst critic can be someone else? :) And yet, you look just as adorable as you always did.

8:34 PM  
Blogger jwer said...

WHO IS THIS???

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home