Wednesday, August 24, 2005

This is how my brain works

Okay, just to give you some insight into the dustbunny rodeo that is my brain, here is the kind of trivia that routinely obsesses me:

In the 1967 Valley of the Dolls, the tiny, uncredited role of "Stage Manager" was played by an unknown Richard Dreyfuss.

In the 1981 television remake of Valley of the Dolls, the tiny, uncredited role of "Stage Manager" was played by an unknown Nathan Lane.

In 2004, Dreyfuss was hired to star in the London production of the musical The Producers, stepping into the role originated by Lane. He was later fired; the producers of The Producers claimed he was not physically up to the role. Lane was flown in to replace him. A very Valley of the Dolls-ish story.

In other news, meet Dennis Hensley, who is as obsessed with Match Game as I am. Click on his links to see his live recreations of Match Game, with Jennifer Elise Cox (Jan from the Brady Bunch movies) as Elaine Joyce, and Marcia Wallace as herself.

I knew I would love the site right from the opening page, which recreates the "Dynamite" magazine logo. I would always order "Dynamite" when we had our Scholastic Book sales at school.

You should also check out "Evie Harris: Shining Star" on this site, a sort of precursor to the movie Girls Will Be Girls - I rented this on a whim and it has become one of my favorites. The design is amazing - shot in the director's house, apparently.

And, trivia note, both Richard Dreyfuss and Nathan Lane were fired from their small roles as "Stage Manager" on the production. Weird.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gil said...

Yes, folks, this is the kind of thing I hear every day.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Crash said...

I watched Girls Will Be Girls as a whim on the gay pay-per-view channel on Time Warner. I loved it.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home