Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Why you should be a magician

Cabdriver: "So, you like magic?"

Me: "Uhhm, uhwhat?

"You like magic? You know, magic tricks, card tricks."

"Uh, sure."

"You should learn how to do magic. You know why?"

"Why?"

"The girls. They love it. Girls love magic tricks."

"Ah."

"And you know what? You know why you should be a magician?"

"Um ... why?"

"Because if you get to be a magician, we got a clubhouse you can go to. If you join up. You can bring the girls there, have some dinner, show her some tricks."

"Sounds great."

"They love it. The girls love it. Magic. That's what they love."


What I didn't tell the cabdriver as we bumped around the city was that, of course I was a magician. At the age of nine.

I had the finger chopper, I had the magic ball and vase. I bought magic tricks out of the back of comic books, with ads like these (I bought these, too.)

I think my parents bought me a Junior Magician Magic Set at some point. I had a cape. I had a top hat. I put on shows. I had "smoke" that came from my fingers (it's really a sort of sticky epoxy that creates a few puffs when you tap your fingers together.)

After a while, "Magician" went the way of Astronomer, Chess Expert and Supermarket Cashier With His Own Cash Register ... all occupations I tried on and discarded at a tender age.

Maybe it was because, contrary to popular belief, the magic tricks never got me girls.

4 Comments:

Blogger jwer said...

I had the finger smoke, too... I believe it may have reduced my life span by a few years. Also, no girls were had by me, and I really wanted them. Well, maybe not when I was 9.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Gil said...

I like the idea of a cashier with his own cash register. It sounds so entrepreneurial.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I used to play "Chinese Restaurant" and "Bank Teller" - the latter because I loved punching buttons or keys and thought that would be the perfect job to do so when I grew up. Little did I guess, I'd be enslaved to my computer by the time I was in my 20s.

-Amy

8:47 AM  
Blogger Zenchick said...

I did a magic show (from a kit) at my brother's 5th b-day party when I was 9. All those 5-year-olds watched with their mouths hanging open. All, that is...except for my brother. He had already opened his gifts, and was playing with his Stretch Armstrong doll.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home